18 Apr 2013 - 19 Apr 2013
New York, NY
New York, NY
Expert Group meeting on Oceans, Seas and Sustainable Development: Implementation and follow-up to Rio+20The Expert Group Meeting on Oceans, Seas and Sustainable Development: Implementation and follow-up to Rio+20 was not an intergovernmental meeting, but represented a two-day meeting for information exchange and dialogue among different stakeholders in order to identify perspectives for cooperation to enhance the conservation and sustainable use of oceans, seas and their resources. The Expert Group Meeting aimed to provide an opportunity to engage in discussions on how to implement and follow-up Rio+20 decisions with regard to oceans and seas.
Specifically, the Expert Group Meeting aimed to:
(1) elaborate on the importance of oceans and seas for sustainable development;
(2) present and discuss main oceans-related issues and challenges;
(3) identify possible new measures and/or highlight existing proven measures with regard to the implementation of Rio+20 decisions and other oceans-related topics;
(4) present “best practices” supporting the conservation and sustainable use of oceans, seas and their resources;
(5) elaborate on how to enhance multi-stakeholder and international cooperation.