- Submitted by: Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd
- Topic: Africa
- Keywords: energy service, community development, porverty eradication
- Location: South Africa, Africa, (Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canary Islands, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Congo (Democratic Republic of the) Cote d'Ivoi
- Date of completion: 2025
- Click for more information
Deliverables & Resources
- This voluntary initiative came from Global Compact
Electrification Roadmap For South Africa, Africa and Developing Countries
Description/achievement of initiativeEskom and Duke Energy, as members of the GSEP, are facilitating the development of a an Electrification Roadmap to ensure 500 million people have access to energy by 2025 (100 million Connections).
Implementation methodologiesBy executing the following two development phase,
2013 – 2015: • forge partnerships, engage partners to secure commitment, human and financial resources and finalise plans for the implementation • Analyse electrification need; Use existing plans where they exist; Assist with development of national plans where needed; • Facilitate training and human and institutional capacity building; match supply and demand wrt developmental needs; • Assist with regional electrification strategy, financing for the implementation and execution of quick hits. • Share knowledge and experience with counterparts in Africa and other developing Countries.
2015-2015: Will be a period of accelerated, electrification action. Success will be dependent on the monitoring, measurement, verification and reporting of the efforts; a systemic matching of the supply and demand, of the areas in the countries, with the developmental needs and the actual achieved growth; leadership and commitment by all. While this process of the SADC electrification is being carried out, similar work will be undertaken in the rest of Africa and all other developing countries.
|Connect 500 million people to modern energy services (translates to 100 million connections)||2025|