- Submitted by: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Topic: Education
- Date of completion: 2022-12-31
- Click for more information
- This voluntary initiative came from Partnerships for SD (CSD11/WSSD)
Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), The
The EOLSS Publishers Ltd. (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Int'l Editorial Council ()
UNESCO-EOLSS Chairs in the Universities: ()
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), EOLSS Joint Committee (France)
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) (France)
International Association of Universities (France)
Regional Scientific Panels:Asia, Africa and LA ()
national scientific organisations in Russia,China, Japan, France,USA,etc ()
Description/achievement of initiativeThe Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), the world biggest web-based archive as transdisciplinary knowledge base of sustainable development.
It is, in fact, a global partnership among thousands of scholars aimed at creating an integrated knowledge base in support of sustainable development efforts. Thus, the EOLSS Project is a project in support of all other projects related to sustainable development irrespective at the level they have been carried out: local, governmental, regional or global.
* It addresses the issue of knowledge and education for sustainability
* It is a unique archive created as a valuable source of knowledge to help other projects related to sustainable development.
* It provides a basis for inspiration. In the words of Leon M. Lederman, Nobel Laureate in Physics, the EOLSS is 'the theme of humanity, embedded in nature and constrained to find ways of maintaining a relationship with nature based on understanding and respect'
* The EOLSS has been regularly updated to be a living encyclopedia, not merely a replicated publication.
* It is innovative project- a global effort towards the creation of an integrated knowledge base in support of sustainable development
* It need not be replicated but it should be continued to enhance and update the knowledge base it develops
* It is first to inform decisions in the process of development and to inspire leadership. It is innovative in the sense that it is aimed at developing a base of integrated knowledge that addresses the contemporary issues of the world.