- Submitted by: Mata Amritanandamayi Mata
- Topic: Food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture
- Date of completion: 2012-04-02
- Click for more information
- This voluntary initiative came from Partnerships for SD (CSD11/WSSD)
Farmers' Empowerment Project
Government of India - Chief Minister Maharashtra
Mata Amritanandamayi Mata (MA Math) (India)
Mata Amritanandamayi Math (MA Math) (India)
Amrita SREE (India)
Farmer Relief Project (India)
Description/achievement of initiativeThe Farmers' Empowerment Project aims at helping the poorest farmers (and their families) in India gain economic security through sustainable practices and diversifying their means of support.
Specifically, the Farmers' Empowerment Project seeks to reduce the suicide rate among poor Indian farmers suffering from debt and crop failure in the states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnatika through providing scholarships for educating children, vocational training for women and helping the farmers make the transition to more sustainable practices.