- Submitted by: The Association of University Leaders for a Sustainable Future (ULSF)
- Topic: Education
- Date of completion: 2007-12-01
- Click for more information
- This voluntary initiative came from Partnerships for SD (CSD11/WSSD)
Global Higher Education for Sustainability Partnership (GHESP)
International Association of Universities (France)
United Nations University (UNU) (Japan)
UN Educational, Scientific & Cultural Org (UNESCO) (France)
University Leaders for a Sustainable Future (ULSF) (United States of America)
Description/achievement of initiativeThe partnership will achieve the following general objectives:
1. Promote better understanding, and more effective implementation of strategies for the incorporation of sustainable development in universities and other higher education institutions. Emphasis is put on the need for interdisciplinary approaches to teaching and research.
2. Identify, share and disseminate widely effective strategies, models and good practices for promoting higher education for sustainable development (HESD).
3.Make recommendations on HESD in consultation with key Northern and Southern stakeholders.
4. Work closely with the UN system to develop and implement this joint action plan addressed to achieve common goals; and analyse and evaluate this experience as an international demonstration project.