- Submitted by: Japan
- Topic: Green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication
- Location: Japan
- Date of completion: 2010
- Click for more information
- This voluntary initiative came from Green economy policies, practices and initiatives
New Growth Strategy: Blueprint for Revitalizing Japan
Description/achievement of initiativeThis strategy states that "green innovation" indicates innovation in the fields of environment and energy.
The government of Japan is planning to carry out the following policies as green innovation policies: support for the promotion of renewable energy use, promotion of low carbon investment, application of information and communication technology, use of nuclear power, acceleration of innovate technology development, promotion of modal shift, spread of energy-saving electrical appliances, efficient supply/demand of electricity, recycling of domestic material/resource.
This strategy aims to:
- Create over ¥50 trillion in new environment-related markets;
- 1.4 million new environment sector jobs;
- reduce worldwide greenhouse gas emissions by at least 1.3 billion tons of CO2 equivalent (equivalent to the total emissions of Japan) using Japanese private-sector technology.