- Submitted by: United States of America
- Topic: Green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication
- Location: United States of America
- Date of completion: 2009
- Click for more information
- This voluntary initiative came from Green economy policies, practices and initiatives
Greening the Government
Description/achievement of initiativeThe goals of this executive order was to implement environmentally-friendly practices in the government offices.
Source: UNCSD Secretariat (2010) Questionnaire for the Member States on Experiences, Success Factors, Risks and Challenges with Regard to Objective and Themes of UN Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD)
The President?s Executive Order 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance, emphasizes the importance of sustainability and requires U.S. Federal agencies to meet a number of energy, water, and waste reduction targets, including 50% recycling and waste diversion by 2015. The Federal government occupies and operates roughly half a million buildings, operates more than 600,000 vehicles, employs almost 2 million people, and spends over $500 billion annually on various forms of products and services.