- Submitted by: United States of America
- Topic: Green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication
- Location: United States of America
- Date of completion: 1998
- Click for more information
- This voluntary initiative came from Green economy policies, practices and initiatives
Environmental Workforce Development and Job Training Grants
Description/achievement of initiativeThe Environmental Workforce Development and Job Training Grants (EWDJT) help residents take advantage of the jobs created by the management, assessment, cleanup, and revitalization of solid and hazardous waste sites in their communities.
Source: UNCSD Secretariat (2010) Questionnaire for the Member States on Experiences, Success Factors, Risks and Challenges with Regard to Objective and Themes of UN Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD)
Environmental Workforce Development and Job Training Grants (EWDJT) provide local residents of communities historically impacted by brownfields and other environmentally contaminated properties or waste related facilities an opportunity to take environmental training offered through the programs. To date (since 1998), EPA has funded 169 job training grants totaling over $35 million through the former Brownfields Job Training Program.