- Submitted by: Republic of Korea
- Topic: Green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication
- Location: Changwon, Republic of Korea
- Date of completion: 2009
- Click for more information
- This voluntary initiative came from Green economy policies, practices and initiatives
The Nearby Useful Bike
Description/achievement of initiativeThe City of Changwon introduced a public bicycle system (Nearby Useful Bike, Interesting Joyful Attraction, NUBIJA) in September 2009 with the aim of contributing to an eco-friendly urban environment.
Source: The ICLEI Case Study series
Changwon's aim was to introduce a user-friendly bicycle system that would become part of the city's urban landscape. The city has managed to create a bicycle system matching its own particular needs by researching other cities' bicycle programs, analysing Changwon's physical conditions and by applying advanced technologies. The new system, NUBIJA, has lead to improvements in citizens' health, job creation and has also laid the foundation for a low-carbon transportation culture. The extensive use of information technology and implementation of a cyclist's insurance system are among NUBIJA's unique characteristics.