- Submitted by: United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Topic: Industry
- Keywords: industry, environment, sustainable production, sustainable consumption, resource efficiency, energy efficiency, water resource management, chemicals management, cleaner production
- Location: Vienna, Austria
- Date of completion: 31 Dec 2014
- Click for more information
In Support of Rio+20 Future We Want
This initiative is in support of paragraph 66 of the Rio+20 outcome document, the Future We Want
Deliverables & Resources
Green Industry Platform
Partner(s)United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations Global Compact (UNGC)
Description/achievement of initiativeThe Green Industry Platform is a global, high-level, multi-stakeholder partnership to catalyze, mobilize and mainstream action on Green Industry around the world. The Platform provides a framework which brings together governmental, business and civil society leaders around concrete commitments made to ‘green’ global manufacturing and create new green industries. By encouraging the more efficient use of energy and raw materials and promoting more environmentally sound modes of consumption and production, the Platform will contribute both to cleaner and more competitive industrial development, and will help reduce pollution and reliance on unsustainable use of natural resources.
Implementation methodologiesMembership of the Platform is expressed through the signature of the ‘Statement of Support’. By signing onto the Platform, signatories indicate their public support for its objectives, their engagement to promote the Green Industry principles within their organizations and with others in the manner that they judge most appropriate, and to share information and ideas on their experiences and achievements.
As outlined in the Statement of Support, the Platform’s mission is to provide a framework that will inspire, empower and encourage members, individually and in groups, to take specific and measurable action to advance Green Industry in all countries and business organizations and at all levels.
The Platform will facilitates development of a green industrial approach in a number of ways:
• Informing: by sharing information on enabling conditions, best available technologies and practices and benefits, etc;
• Networking: by assisting with introductions to possible investors, manufacturers, Green Industry specialists and other relevant stakeholders;
• Strategizing: by offering advice on how to develop a strategic roadmap and possible policies, benefits, etc;
• Convening: by providing assistance in convening meetings of relevant members and stakeholders on specific issues;
• Researching: by offering assistance in identifying research and research providers.
|Key stakeholders at national and regional levels show consistent and concrete commitment toward, and awareness and application of, Green Industry principles and practices.||2015|
|Financing (in USD)||$1,700,000|