- Submitted by: Sime Darby Berhad
- Topic: Food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture
- Keywords: food, agriculture, aquaculture and forestry; Community development; Job creation
- Location: GLOBAL
- Date of completion: 2013
- Click for more information
Deliverables & Resources
- This voluntary initiative came from Global Compact
Improve Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture
Partner(s)Sime Darby Berhad
Description/achievement of initiativeProgress the development of new approaches, standards and practices that improves the efficiency of agricultural land, reduces negative environmental impacts and contributes to the growth of local com.
Implementation methodologiesIn order to achieve the targeted commitments, 4 steps have to be done as follows:
1. An RSPO certification programme for all SOUs has been developed and is currently being implemented. This is managed by a centralised team tasked with managing compliance to the RSPO’s requirements.
2. Intial seed funding for SHARP was provided by Sime Darby. SHARP is now a multi-stakeholder partnership with an Interim Host Organisation that is focusing on fundraising, development of governance structures and implementation of pilot projects.
3. Active participation in the UNGC initiative on Global Sustainable Agriculture, which includes working groups and projects.
4. Sharing of good agricultural practices via selected industry platforms.
|Certify all palm oil plantation Strategic Operating Units (SOU), which consists of a palm oil mill and feeder estates, to the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil's (RSPO) Principles and Criteria.||2012|
|Share good agricultural practices pioneered by Sime Darby with other industry players.||2013|
|Continue to play a leading role in the Smallholder Acceleration and REDD+ Programme (SHARP), and implement a pilot SHARP project.||2013|
|Support a new United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) intiative on Global Sustainable Agriculture.||2013|