- Submitted by: United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD)
- Topic: Integrated Decision-Making
- Keywords: 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle), resource efficiency, zero waste, green industry, public-private-partnerships (PPP)
- Location: Asia-Pacific region. The countries participating in the Regional 3R Forum include: Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Korea, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Palau, Philippines, Samoa, S
- Date of completion: 2023-01-01
- Click for more information
Deliverables & Resources
Mainstreaming the 3Rs and resource efficiency in the overall policy development at local and national levels in Asia-Pacific countries
Partner(s)United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD)
Description/achievement of initiative- The major achievement will be a regional consensus among the Asia-Pacific countries through a high-level declaration, on mainstreaming the 3Rs and resource efficiency in a wide range of sectors (e.g., agriculture, environment, industry, energy, transport, and finance) and in the overall policy development.
- Policies, strategies, laws and regulations that supports the implementation of the 3Rs and resource efficiency measures at national and local levels will be formulated and implemented in the Asia-Pacific countries.
- Creation of a sustainable society that imposes significantly lower pressures on natural resource stocks and the environment.
Implementation methodologiesUNCRD provides substantive support to the Asia-Pacific countries in collaboration with its partners including international organizations, bilateral/multilateral donors, scientific/research institutions and others, through various mechanisms and modalities as listed below.
- Provides advisory support, promotes cooperation, conduct awareness raising, establish regional networking, provides capacity building and technical support to the developing countries by organizing forums, training courses, workshops, and seminars on relevant subjects to promote the 3Rs and resource efficiency at the local/national/regional level.
- Motivates government authorities to take the initiative in formulating appropriate policies, strategies and programmes on the 3Rs and resource efficiency through high level policy forums.
- Promotes further interagency coordination, collaboration and partnership with the governments to progress in mainstreaming and integrating the 3Rs and resource efficiency.
The high level declaration on mainstreaming the 3Rs and resource efficiency is expected to be discussed and adopted during the Fourth Regional 3R Forum in Asia in March 2013.
The International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA), a Rio+20 registered partnership, will play a critical role in disseminating knowledge, best practices, policy instruments, and relevant tools and technologies on the 3Rs and resource efficiency at the local level.
|Adoption of a high-level regional declaration on mainstreaming the 3Rs and resource efficiency.||2013|
|Improved capacity (in terms of trained officials and practitioners) of developing countries on the 3Rs and resource efficiency.||2023|
|Development and/or improvement in policies, strategies, laws and regulations that supports the implementation of the 3Rs and resource efficiency measures at national and local levels in the Asia-Pacific countries.||2023|
|Regional 3R Forum in Asia||2023|
|In-kind contribution||UNCRD will promote 3Rs and resource efficiency strategies and policies by organizing Regional 3R Forums, training courses, workshops, seminar and conferences with the in kind contributions and technical cooperation of MoE-Japan, Institute for Global Envi|
|In-kind contribution||UNCRD will provide technical guidelines and advisory support to the developing countries in building institutional capacity in addressing 3Rs and waste management issues.|
|In-kind contribution||UNCRD will monitor the implementation of the recommendations of the Regional 3R Forum in Asia in close cooperation with the 3R partners and relevant organizations.|