- Submitted by: Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI)
- Topic: Education
- Keywords: education
- Location: Canterbury, United Kingdom (The)
- Date of completion: 2013
- Click for more information
Deliverables & Resources
- This voluntary initiative came from Higher Education Sustainability Initiative
Canterbury Christ Church University
Partner(s)Canterbury Christ Church University
Description/achievement of initiativeCanterbury Christ Church University's overarching environmental targets are:
to reduce Scope 1 & 2 carbon dioxide emissions from electricity, gas and University vehicles by 35% from the 2009-10 level by July 2016.
to reduce Scope 1 & 2 emissions by 57% from the 2009-10 level by 2020.
to reduce Scope 3 emissions from business travel, water and waste by 20% from the 2009/10 level by March 2016 and by 35% by 2020.
to attain ISO14001 accreditation by 2013
Implementation methodologiesThrough ongoing projects already underway.
The University is committed to implementing environmental best practice, as demonstrated by:
• Engaging and informing our students with a thorough understanding of sustainability issues, concepts and ethical considerations.
• Implementing the carbon management plan to reduce our contribution to climate change.
• Promoting resource efficiency and minimising waste and pollution by implementing sustainable procurement practices and management of all waste streams in line with the waste hierarchy.
• Implementing sustainable Travel Plan to ensure an environmentally sound approach to transport and travel within the context of a multi-campus University.
• Ensuring that assessment of environmental risk is undertaken for all physical and operational changes to the University’s estate and operations.
• Managing the grounds and buildings of the University in order to maintain and enhance biodiversity and minimise the impact of new and existing buildings.
• Working with universities, colleges, businesses and the local community to promote and develop environmental good practice.
• Promoting environmental awareness and responsibility amongst staff and students.
• Compliance with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and requirements.
• Managing environmental risk and continual improvement of environmental performance.
|Attain ISO14001 accreditation by 2013||2013|
|Staff / Technical expertise||Expertise of students and staff concerning sustainable development|