Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /srv/www/html/sustainabledevelopment.un.org/root/content.php on line 225 Promoting the International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA) .:. Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform
Submitted by: United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD)
Topic: Chemicals and waste
Keywords: Sustainable Waste Management, Local Authorities,Partnerships, Zero Waste, Resource Efficiency, Capacity Building
Location: Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean. Core partners are currently located in Australia, Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, India, Japan, Morocco, Peru, Republic of Korea, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, and Viet Nam
Promoting the International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA)
UNCRD, UN-HABITAT, Asian Institute of Technology, Griffith University, Regional Environmental Centre for Central and Eastern Europe, SWEEP-Net, SPREP, SACEP, ISWA - Brazil, University of the Southern Caribbean (Trinidad & Tobago), Ministry of the Environment (Republic of Korea), Korean Society of Waste Management, Zero Waste SA (Australia), IL&FS and EMC (India)
Description/achievement of initiative
The goal of IPLA is to increase the capacity of local authorities (LAs) for sustainable waste management towards a resource efficient and zero waste society, achieving livable and sustainable cities.
- The capacity of LAs and municipalities will be empowered by better access to tools, technologies, investment opportunities, and international financial mechanisms in the area of municipal waste management.
- A dynamic interface between the local authorities and private sector will be built, thereby facilitating public-private partnerships and creating conducive investment climate for expanding waste management services.
- Improved urban management towards realizing livable cities in participating LAs.
- Enable LAs to share experience in addressing waste management challenges, as well as in taking advantage of opportunities;
- Help in mainstreaming integrated and sustainable waste management strategies such as ISWM and 3Rs;
- Promote "green jobs" and stimulate "green investments? in waste management;
- Encourage awareness raising and capacity building programs in critical areas of concern; and
- Support local action plans and strategies for sustainable waste management.
Launch of IPLA Web Portal which serves as a dynamic interactive platform.
Train government and municipality officials and practitioners, and NGOs on sustainable waste management and 3Rs. Facilitate Practice, Knowledge and Awareness (PKA) projects
Facilitate international and regional policy dialogue platforms in advancing IPLA objectives for moving towards resource efficient and zero waste society
Provide guidelines on zero waste policies and programs for local/municipal authorities in the context of achieving livable and sustainable cities.
Other, please specify
Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Limited (IL&FS)-India, together with Environmental Management Centre, India provide necessary financial, in-kind and technical support in developing the IPLA Web Portal
UNCRD will facilitate and co-organize IPLA forums and meetings in partnership with the Ministry of Environment- Republic of Korea (MoE-Korea), KSWM, UAESP, GIZ, SWEEP-Net, AIT, UN HABITAT, ISWA, EMC-India, USC, and others
MoE- Korea has been providing financial support for convening IPLA Global Forum. UAESP has been providing financial support for convening the IPLA forums in Colombia related to zero waste policies and inclusion programs.
UNCRD will assist LAs in developing zero waste roadmaps and strategies under the framework of IPLA. One such example is a development of a ?Road Map for Zero Waste Ahmedabad?.
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /srv/www/html/sustainabledevelopment.un.org/root/content.php on line 553