- Submitted by: Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
- Topic: Sustainable transport
- Keywords: Urban transport, urban design, urban planning, public transport, freight transport, non-motorized transport, travel demand management, avoid/shift strategies, street design
- Location: Chennai, India; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Mexico City, Mexico; Guangzhou, China; other cities worldwide
- Date of completion: 2018
- Click for more information
Deliverables & Resources
Principles for Transport in Urban Life
Partner(s)Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
Description/achievement of initiativeThe Principles for Transport in Urban Life will be used to leverage sustainable transportation as a principal driver for sustainable and livable urban development, with the goal of zoning reform in five cities worldwide. Metrics will be finalized that measures how well particular principles are represented in a development.
Implementation methodologiesThe approach is three-fold:
1) To promote and disseminate best practices to government officials and practitioners on sustainable urban development
2) To use the Principles and the Metrics to influence zoning reform.
3) To provide technical assistance to cities seeking to reform zoning codes to incentivize better development.
We will be working in China, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico to achieve this.
|Metrics for the Principles for Transport in Urban Life||Dec 2013|
|Evaluations of plans in at least five cities using metrics||Dec 2018|
|Financing (in USD)||$250,000|
|Staff / Technical expertise||$200,000 of total amount|