- Submitted by: Women Organizing for Change in Agriculture and Natural Resource Management (WOCAN)
- Topic: Food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture
- Keywords: women's leadership, Capacity building, women, gender equality, forestry, agriculture, pilot projects, low carbon technology
- Location: Bangkok, Thailand; Indonesia; Nepal; South Africa; Kenya; India;Cameroon
- Date of completion: 2014-12-31
- Click for more information
Deliverables & Resources
Supporting Women's Leadership in Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry Initiatives
Partner(s)Women Organizing for Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Management (WOCAN)
The African Women's Network for Community Management of Forests (REFACOF)
Ministry of Forestry, Indonesia
Description/achievement of initiative1) Women's Leadership Circles established to bring greater institutional accountability to women farmers/environmental managers, to bridge gaps between policies and actions, 5 countries
2) women's leadership training for 200 professionals of agriculture and forest organisations, 5 countries.
3) increased awareness within forest and agriculture sector of women's contributions, and the need to provide increased resources for development of women's leadership and women's groups in sustainable forest management and agriculture development initiatives.
4) Pilot approach developed to strengthen rural women's leadership to access financial resources and low carbon technologies for increased productivity and women farmers' enhanced social and economic status.
Implementation methodologies1. Women's Leadership Circles provide forums for women farmers and decision makers to share knowledge, practice good leadership and support policy development and implementation.
2. WOCAN offers training on women's leadership to increase women's meaningful participation and decision making in policies and programmes. The course Reframing Leadership for Gender Equality in Agriculture and NRM engages men to build support to promote women's leadership.
3. Dialogue on Women's Exclusion/Inclusion in the Forestry Sector will bring together thought leaders to reflect on reasons for women's widespread exclusion, provide approaches that address this. Follow up activities with MoF Indonesia, to incorporate gender into REDD+.
4. Increase public awareness on important roles of women in forestry and agriculture development. WOCAN's website, Facebook, blog and twitter disseminate information to increase public awareness on why and how to integrate gender and women's leadership into SD policies and programs. WOCAN publishes policy briefs on women's empowerment and gender equality in SD initiatives.
5. Pilot approach developed to strengthen rural women's leadership and skills to access financial resources and low carbon technologies for increased productivity and women farmers' enhanced social and economic status
|Dialogue on Women's Exclusion/Inclusion in the Forestry Sector with UN REDD||2014-12-31|
|25 meetings of women leadership circles in 5 countries in Asia and Africa||2014-12-31|
|Training course delivered to 300 women and men professionals in Asia and Africa||2014-12-31|
|Staff / Technical expertise||Curriculum and 24 expert trainers in Asia and Africa whose skills have been developed by WOCAN|
|Staff / Technical expertise||WOCAN Coordinators in 5 countries and budget for meetings provided by WOCAN|
|Staff / Technical expertise||WOCAN to provide thought leadership , contacts to identify participants and budget for meeting|