29 Oct 2009
Informal Briefing on Renewable EnergyThe United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), in collaboration with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), is organizing an informal briefing for delegations on renewable energy in the context of climate change and sustainable development. Objectives
- To brief delegations on renewable energy in the context of climate change and sustainable development, especially on the Secretary-Generalís Report on New and Renewable Sources of Energy that was just recently submitted to the General Assembly and the outcome of the Global Renewable Energy Forum that was just concluded in Leon, Mexico
- To facilitate the negotiations on the Resolution on the Promotion of New and Renewable Sources of Energy that will officially start in the first week of November 2009
- Tariq Banuri, Director of the Division for Sustainable Development, UN-DESA;
- K.V. Ramani, Senior Advisor on Energy Issues to Noeleen Heyzer, UN-ESCAP;
- Kandeh Yumkella, Director General of UNIDO; Chairman of UN-Energy.