Transportation For Sustainable Development in the ECE Region
by: Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
The UNECE Transport Division facilitates the international movement of persons and goods by inland transport modes. It aims to improve competitiveness, safety, energy efficiency and security in the transport sector. At the same time it focuses on reducing the adverse effects of transport activities on the environment and contributing effectively to sustainable
development. It is the
• Centre for multilateral transport standards and agreements in Europe and beyond, e.g. regulations for dangerous goods transport and road vehicle construction at the global level
• Gateway for technical assistance and exchange of best practices
• Promoter of multi‐country investment planning
• Substantive partner for transport and trade facilitation initiatives
• Historic centre for transport statistics.
For more than six decades, the UNECE Inland Transport Committee (ITC) has provided a platform for intergovernmental cooperation to facilitate and develop international transport while improving its safety and environmental performance. The main results of this persevering and critical work are reflected in more than 50 international agreements and conventions which provide an international legal framework and technical regulations for the development of international road, rail, inland water and intermodal transport, as well as dangerous goods transport and vehicle construction. Considering the perspectives of the transport services providers and their regulators, UNECE offers a balanced approach to and treatment of facilitation and security issues alike.