Theme: Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world
- Proposal for voluntary common reporting guidelines for voluntary national reviews at the high-level political forum [ A | C | E | F | R | S ]
- A/RES/70/299 - Follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at the global level
- E/HLPF/2016/8 - Report of HLPF at its 2016 session
- E/HLS/2016/1 - Ministerial declaration of the 2016 HLPF
- E/2016/75 - Progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals
- President's summary of the High-Level Political Forum 2016 (PDF)
- E/HLPF/2016/7 - Note by the Secretariat- Report of executive summaries of volunteer countries on voluntary national reviews for the high-level political forum
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
As part of its follow-up and review mechanisms, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development encourages member states to “conduct regular and inclusive reviews of progress at the national and sub-national levels, which are country-led and country-driven” (paragraph 79). These national reviews are expected to serve as a basis for the regular reviews by the high-level political forum (HLPF), meeting under the auspices of ECOSOC. As stipulated in paragraph 84 of the 2030 Agenda, regular reviews by the HLPF are to be voluntary, state-led, undertaken by both developed and developing countries, and involve multiple stakeholders.
The voluntary national reviews (VNRs) aim to facilitate the sharing of experiences, including successes, challenges and lessons learned, with a view to accelerating the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. The VNRs also seek to strengthen policies and institutions of governments and to mobilize multi-stakeholder support and partnerships for the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.