- Topic: Small Island Developing States
- Location: Pacific islands, Malta
- Date of completion: 2014
- Click for more information
- Keywords: small islands, energy development
Are you the focal point for this commitment/partnership? By signing in
to this website, you can edit the information show, add documents, and more. Contact us
- This voluntary initiative came from Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All)
Description/achievement of initiative
Accelerate global adoption of renewable energy on islands by working jointly on establishing an enabling environment for renewable energy deployment in Island States, and States with inhabited islands.
Accelerate the global adoption of renewable energy on islands by working jointly on establishing an enabling environment for renewable energy deployment in Island States, and States with inhabited islands, through:
1) assessing and disseminating information on renewable energy potential and technologies,
2) involving utilities, national agencies, and other stakeholders working on islands in participatory and training workshop to provide education, training, capacity building, and support for innovative approaches to mobilize funds for renewables investments,
3) bring together experts and national policy makers in technical workshops regarding new renewable energy technology options. This commitment is supported by the leaders and representatives of the Pacific island countries and territories. Small Island Developing States (SIDS) have called on the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) for increased support and greater involvement in their efforts to accelerate renewable energy deployment, in a Declaration issued after a High-Level Ministerial Conference in Barbados (8 May).
IRENA Members and IRENA Signatories.
Open to additional partners