Are you the focal point for this commitment/partnership? By signing in
to this website, you can edit the information show, add documents, and more. Contact us
- This voluntary initiative came from Partnerships for SD (CSD11/WSSD)
Description/achievement of initiative
The TIGER-SHIP partnership aims at developing sustainable earth observation information services for integrated water resources management in developing countries, with a particular focus on Africa as special contribution to the NEPAD/AMCOW process and the achievement of WSSD goals.
Specific Objectives include:
* To establish a network of multidisciplinary experts and institutions for the identification and definition of space technology applications and contribution to the sustainable water resources management in Africa.
* To promote the integrated assessments of water resources availability and use in Africa.
* To identify several case studies and support multidisciplinary experts teams to conduct detailed projects in Africa.
* To learn, from case studies the issues relevant to sound management of surface and groundwater resources in Africa.
* To raise the awareness of policy and decision makers of the significance and importance of space technology for water resources management.
* To set up training facilities and disseminate the lessons learnt from case studies.
* To contribute to the improvement of the socio-economic situations of African countries.
* To contribute to the formulation of strategies to cope with water scarcity.
* To develop a pre-operational information services on water resources management in Africa using space technology.
Government of Egypt - Ministry of Water Resources
Government of Niger - Ministry of Energy and Water Resources
Government of Nigeria - Ministryof Water Resources
Government of South Africa - Ministry of Water Resources
Government UNESCO IHP National Committees
Organization of African States for Cartography & Teledetect (Algeria)
University of Niamey (Niger)
Water Assessment Committee (South Africa)
Local Authorities with Water Resources Resp ()
Nat'l and Regional Water Res. Magmt.Agencies ()
Observatory of Sahara and Sahel ()
Research and Scientific Communities ()
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) (France)
United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (Ethiopia)
United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Global Environment Facility (GEF) (Kenya)
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) (Namibia)
World Meteological Organization (WMO) (Switzerland)
Other intergovernmental organizations:
European Space Agency (ESA) (France)
Lake Chad Basin Commission ()
Niger Basin Authority ()