Government of Algeria
Government of Angola
Government of Chad
Government of Ecuador
Government of Norway
Government of United States of America - USA
Sonatrach (state-owned oil company) (Algeria)
BP (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
ChevronTexaco (United States of America)
Shell Petroleum ()
The World Bank (United States of America)
Other intergovernmental organizations:
World Bank Group (United States of America)
Description/achievement of initiative
This public-private Partnership supports the petroleum industry and national governments in their efforts to reduce the flaring of gas. The Initiative aims to supplement and strengthen efforts already underway, by mobilizing the petroleum industry, national governments, and development agencies in joint actions.
At this early stage of the Partnership, the Bank, in addition to the general global work of enhancing knowledge on gas flaring, disseminating best practices and developing standards, is in the process of identifying a number of specific countries where gas-flaring reduction is possible through a coordinated effort with the industry, and plans to ensure the cooperation from governments and national oil companies.
The Partnership intends to identify ways to overcome the barriers that currently inhibit flaring reduction investments through practicable and economic solutions, aiming to:
1. Improve the legal and regulatory framework for investments in flaring reductions
2. Improve international market access for gas
3. Provide Technical Assistance to develop domestic markets for flared gas
4. Develop financing mechanisms for gas flaring reduction projects
5. Disseminate information, including on international "best practices"
6. Promote the local small-scale use of gas (including LPG schemes) in areas where gas is now flared