Are you the focal point for this commitment/partnership? By signing in
to this website, you can edit the information show, add documents, and more. Contact us
- This voluntary initiative came from Partnerships for SD (CSD11/WSSD)
Description/achievement of initiative
The H20 Partnership aims to further the environmental, economic and social importance of oceans, coasts, and islands, and to facilitate the realization of the Montreal commitment by governments to mitigate water pollution and resource degradation from the hilltops to the oceans.
The overall objectives of the H20 Partnership include:
* To facilitate Governments and the international community recognition of the linkages between the freshwater and marine environments and to foster closer collaboration and partnerships between river basin authorities and coastal managers since action must be taken on land to reduce, remediate and prevent pollution and degradation of the coastal and marine environment.
* To assist countries and regions in making better use of existing domestic resources and in raising new and additional financing, particularly within the context of the regional seas
* To assist countries and regions in evaluating alternative options for funding projects that address priority problems of river, coastal and marine pollution.
* To assist Governments and intergovernmental organisations in identifying opportunities for effective partnerships, including through the establishment of specific cooperative activities, alliances and networks with financial institutions.
* To assist the public sector in involving the private sector and the civil society in addressing priority problems of river, coastal and marine pollution.
* To involve civil society further in the implementation of the Global Programme of Action Wastewater Emission Targets (WET)
Government of Australia - Department of Environment and Heritage
Government Parties- Regional Seas Conventions & Action Plans
Government Partners- Sub Saharan Africa Process
DHI-UCC Water (Denmark)
Stakeholder Forum for Our Common Future (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Ctr for Study of Marine Policy, Univ. of Delaware (United States of America)
GLOBE International (United States of America)
Oceana (United States of America)
Org.s dealing with municipal wastewater & finance ()
Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council ()
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), GPA Coordination Office (Netherlands)
Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) (France)
World Health Organization (WHO) (Switzerland)
World Economic Forum ()