- Topic: Water and sanitation
- Date of completion: 2008-12-01
- Click for more information
- Keywords: Water and Sanitation, Africa
Are you the focal point for this commitment/partnership? By signing in
to this website, you can edit the information show, add documents, and more. Contact us
- This voluntary initiative came from Partnerships for SD (CSD11/WSSD)
Description/achievement of initiative
The West Africa Water Initiative (WAWI) works with communities and governments in Ghana, Mali, and Niger:
1) To increase the access to sustainable, safe water and environmental sanitation for poor and vulnerable communities in rural and peri-urban settings.
2) To reduce the prevalence of water-borne and sanitation-related diseases, particularly trachoma, guinea worm and diarrheal diseases through the promotion of personal hygiene and environmental sanitation practices.
3) To ensure ecologically, financially, and socially sustainable management of water quantity and quality.
4) To foster a new model of partnership and institutional synergy to ensure technical excellence, programmatic innovation, and long-term financial, social and environmental sustainability in water resources management that may be replicable in other parts of the world.
Government of United States of America - United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Water Aid (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Cornell International Institute of Food, Agriculture and Development (United States of America)
Desert Research Institute (United States of America)
Helen Keller International (United States of America)
International Trachoma Initiative (United States of America)
Lions Club International (United States of America)
Winrock International (United States of America)
World Chlorine Council (United States of America)
World Vision (United States of America)
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) (Ghana)
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) (Mali)
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) (Niger)
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) (United States of America)
WAWI Secretariat (Niger)
Conrad N Hilton Foundation (United States of America)