United Nations Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC) UK
The Cropper Foundation, Trinidad
Financial support provided from the European Commission (EC), the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
Description/achievement of initiative
The Sub-Global Assessment (SGA) Network seeks to create a common platform for practitioners (individuals and organizations) involved in ecosystem assessment at the sub-global levels (regional, sub-regional, national and sub-national) with the intention of:
1. Building capacity to undertake and use assessments and
2. Supporting relevant global processes such as the intergovernmental science-policy platform on biodiversity and ecosystem services (IPBES) and multilateral environmental agreement (MEA) frameworks/conventions through achievement of the objective listed above.
Through the following objectives, the intention of building capacity to undertake and use assessments will be carried out:
- Offering opportunities for training in specific tools and approaches related to ecosystem assessments (e.g. training workshops on valuation, scenarios, mainstreaming etc.);
- Capturing, synthesizing and disseminating examples of best practices and lessons learnt in undertaking ecosystem assessments;
- Developing e-learning tools which are of interest to ecosystem assessment practitioners;
- Encouraging and supporting ongoing exchanges between and amongst SGAs, either through virtual or face-to-face means (e.g. sharing of expertise);
- Establishing and maintaining a website devoted to the SGA Network which will allow access to relevant materials and information;
- Linking SGAs to the scientific community and to relevant information and data sources which are useful for undertaking ecosystem assessment work.