Eric De Keuleneer , President, firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you the focal point for this commitment/partnership? By signing in
to this website, you can edit the information show, add documents, and more. Contact us
- This voluntary initiative came from Higher Education Sustainability Initiative
Eric De Keuleneer – President
Description/achievement of initiative
With the Board of Governors' approbation of the 2006 environmental policy, the ULB (Université Libre de Bruxelles) has long been committed to a sustainable development programme. As an institution committed to higher education, research and serving society, as well as a major employer, the ULB, via the Rio+20 Declaration of Higher Education Institutions, reiterates its engagement to set an example and to fully assume its environmental and social responsibilities.
The ULB is therefore committed to pursuing its environmental policy by implementing annually defined environmentally-oriented initiatives. In addition, it engages, between 2012 to 2015, to:
1. Pursue these two complementary education and sustainable development initiatives, in other words, first, to integrate sustainable development issues into the various traditional academic programme tracks and, second, to offer specialised Master programmes in the field.
2. Increase its visibility both internally and externally, and, more specifically, promote cross-discipline dynamics and cooperation, as many research units at ULB work on environmental and sustainable development issues, by cataloguing the latter via an adapted online tool.
3. Develop quantified reductions in the institution's environmental impact in defined priority areas: e.g. energy, mobility, eco-consumption, green spaces and waste.
4. From 2013, draw up an annual environment report in line with the framework defined by the International Sustainable Campus Network and the Global University Leader Forum (ISCN-GULF).
5. As a founder member, support the creation of the Unica Green Academic Footprint (UGAF) exchange network within UNICA, which includes universities from all the major European capitals.
6. Pursue and step up collaboration with the local authorities and civil society in order to achieve coherent and concerted sustainable development policies.
Key people: President, Vice-president and Rector of the University – the Environment Consultants – the Environmental Coordination team – the Mobility Coordination team
Université libre de Bruxelles