First annual Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (STI Forum)
6 Jun 2016 - 7 Jun 2016
Conference Room 1, UNHQ, New York
The first annual Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (STI Forum) will take place on 6-7 June 2016 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. The 2016 STI Forum will address the topic "realizing the potential of science, technology and innovation for all to achieve the sustainable development goals."
The forum and its preparation will be guided by the following questions:
1) Why are science, technology and innovation essential for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals? Please provide one or more concrete examples that, in your experience, best exemplify this.
2) What are the main opportunities and challenges Ė at policy, organisational and individual levels - for maximizing the contribution of science, technology and innovation to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals?
3) What are the key elements that countries and international organizations may need to take into account in formulating action plans and/or roadmaps for science, technology and innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals?
4) How can we deploy existing knowledge and new, innovative solutions and technologies and make them more readily available to those who need them?
5) What would be success criteria for the STI Forum in the coming years? What questions should the STI Forum focus on?
As requested by the General Assembly resolution 70/1 on 2030 Agenda for Sustainable
Development, the President of ECOSOC will convene the meetings of the STI forum once a year to discuss science, technology and innovation cooperation around thematic areas for the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals. The General Assembly also decided that the meetings of the forum will be co-chaired by two Member States and will result in a summary of discussions elaborated by the two co-Chairs.
In this regards, H.E. Mr. Oh Joon, the President of ECOSOC, appointed H.E. Mr. Macharia Kamau, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Kenya to the United Nations and Dr. Vaughan Turekian, the Science and Technology Adviser to the US Secretary of State, to act as co-chairs for the STI forum.
Finalized programme of Side Events can be accessed here.
E/HLPF/2016/6 - Multi-stakeholder forum on science, technology and innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals: summary by the Co-Chairs (Kenya and United States)
[Arabic] [Chinese] [English] [French] [Russian] [Spanish]
- Agenda - STI Forum 2017
- Brochure with latest programme
- Final detailed programme on the Science, Technology and Innovation Forum
- Programme with speakers - STI Forum 2017
- Joint statement on main outcomes of first multi-stakeholder forum on science, technology and innovation for the SDGs
- Letter from the Co-Chairs of the multi-stakeholder forum Presiden of ECOSOC on submission of summary (22 June 2016)
- Letter from the President of ECOSOC on appointment of Co-Chairs of the STI Forum (5 April 2016)
- Letter from the President of ECOSOC on Invitation of Member States to the Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (10 May 2016)
Statements & Presentations
Number of statements/presentations: 185
Special Event: the Call for Innovations