Conclave of Thought Leaders: The Future of Sustainable Development
11 May 2009 - 12 May 2009
New York, USA
BackgroundThe conclave will be held on 11-12 May at the United Nations, to coincide with the 17th session of the Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD). The afternoon of May 12 would be allocated to a round table discussion with invited Ministers and heads of delegations to CSD-17, Heads of UN agencies, and representatives of civil society organizations.
ObjectivesThe meeting has three main objectives:
- Substance To provide an occasion to review and assess:
- the current state of conceptual thinking and applied research on sustainable development;
- the impact of two decades of sustainable development research on policy and practice;
- future sustainable development challenges, and the strategic direction of policy research in order to enhance its social relevance, policy impact, and capacity for integrating across disciplinary and sectoral boundaries;
- direct interaction with high-level politicians gathered for CSD, as well as Major Groups;
- the option of establishing a formal network of policy research institutions to engage with and support the inter-governmental process;
- identification of a common research agenda, which could be pursued through collaborative or complementary research programs; and
- assessment of how such a network could enable more effective use of the range of communications instruments deployed by the research community, including coverage of sustainable development issues in web-based portals (e.g., wikipedia, knol, or EoE), journals, books on sustainable development, webcasts and webinars, and other media.