More than 570 representatives from 135 organizations participated in the CSD-18 Review Session by reporting on and sharing their results-oriented activities in the form of case studies, lessons learned, and best practices. They also identified obstacles, constraints, challenges and opportunities for the way forward.
The level of interaction was at its highest yet—major groups made a total of 153 interventions, which is a record number for any meeting of the Commission—and their presence on Government delegations during CSD meetings is increasing. Major groups also contributed substantively to the CSD-18 Partnerships Fair and the Learning Centre, and organized numerous side events and other related activities.
Contributions by major groups were channeled through the following entry points:
- Opening plenary: on Monday 3 May, all major groups made opening statements;
- Thematic and regional discussions: from Monday 3 May through Friday 7 May, major groups participated throughout regional reviews and interactive discussions on the thematic issues;
- SIDS Day: on Monday 10 May, major groups were included in SIDS day discussions;
- Multi-stakeholder dialogue on advancing implementation of CSD decisions: on Tuesday 11 May, major groups introduced their discussion papers during an interactive dialogue with Governments on progress in implementation;
- Multi-stakeholder dialogue with representatives of partnership initiatives: on Tuesday 11 May, an interactive dialogue introduced at CSD-16 was again included so that major groups and representatives of partnerships could engage in discussion with Governments on their implementation efforts;
- Ministerial roundtables: on Wednesday 12 May and Thursday 13 May, major groups participated in High-level roundtables with Ministers;
- Ministerial dialogue with major groups and the UN System: on Wednesday 12 May major groups participated in a new high-level interactive discussion on implementation challenges and opportunities that included not only major groups and Ministers, but also heads of the UN system;
- Ministerial dialogue on the way forward: on Friday 14 May, major groups contributed to a discussion on the way forward;
- Closing plenary: on Friday 14 May, major groups offered closing statements.
The level of interaction was at its highest yet—major groups made a total of 153 interventions, which is a record number for any meeting of the Commission—and their presence on Government delegations during CSD meetings is increasing. Many of their statements and interventions can be found on the official statements page.
In preparation for CSD-18, representatives of major groups participated in the five Regional Implementation Meetings organized by the Regional Commissions, in order to allow effective consideration of regional and sub-regional inputs throughout the two-year cycle. Leading major groups’ organizations also organized a number of additional regional and sub-regional inter-sessional meetings and strengthened their inter-major groups’ collaboration, by liaising with regional Governments, and coordinating their participation strategies.
The major groups organizing partners prepared official CSD-18 discussion papers for each of the nine major groups’ sectors, which served as the baseline for their input during the session.