This session will bring together a diverse group of experts and stakeholders in an interactive dialogue on progress in ensuring food security, improving nutrition, and promoting food systems and agricultural practices that are sustainable, resilient and inclusive. Linking sustainable agriculture to poverty eradication and gender equality—including equal access to land and water, markets, technology and social protection—is crucial to enhancing the livelihoods smallholder farmers, and to restoring, safeguarding, developing and promoting sustainable use of biodiversity and natural resources. The scale and complexity of the food security crises caused by conflict and natural disasters have increased dramatically in recent years and represent a significant threat to sustainable development. The discussion is expected to assess progress, identify challenges at the national and international levels, and produce integrated policy solutions.
Proposed Guiding Questions
- How can the humanitarian system improve its response to the current crisis of conflict-induced famines?
- What institutional mechanisms or arrangements that combine ministries, programmes, sectors, or stakeholders to integrate SDG 2 with other SDGs appear to be most promising?
- At the country level, what policies and practices addressing SDG 2 along with other SDGs have proven to be the most successful?
- H.E. Mr. Frederick Musiiwa Makamure Shava, President of Economic and Social Council
- Ms. Gerda Verburg, Coordinator, Scaling-Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement
- Ms. Esther Penunia, Secretary General, Asian Farmers’ Association
- Ms. Elizabeth Mpofu, General Coordinator, La Via Campesina, Zimbabwe
- Ms. Meena Bilgi, WOCAN (Women Organizing for Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Management), Core Associate
- Dr. Eugenio Diaz-Bonilla, Head of IFPRI’s Latin American and Caribbean Program
- Mr. Patrick Caron, Chair of the High Level Panel of Experts of the UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS)
Head of IFPRI’s Latin American and Caribbean Program
Chair of the High Level Panel of Experts of the UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS)
General Coordinator, La Via Campesina, Zimbabwe
Secretary General, Asian Farmers Association
Coordinator, Scaling-Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement
WOCAN (Women Organizing for Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Management), Core Associate