Session 1: Impact of rapid technological change on the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals
Tuesday, 5 June 2018
11:00 AM - 12:15 PM
Conference Room 4, UNHQ
This session will highlight global trends and responds to General Assembly resolution A/RES/72/242 OP4 which mandates the 3rd Multi-Stakeholder Forum to include a session on the impact of rapid technological change on the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, including cases in which changes may occur at an exponential pace.
Various emerging technology clusters such as AI, biotechnology, and nanotechnology will be discussed.
Chair: H.E. Mr. Juan Sandoval-Mendiolea, Ambassador, Deputy Permanent Representative of Mexico to the United Nations
Moderator: H.E. Mr. Miguel Ruíz Cabañas, Undersecretary for Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mexico
● Mandated TFM findings: Mr. Elliott Harris, Chief Economist and Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development, UN Department for Economic and Social Affairs
● Update from CSTD: Mr. Peter Major, Vice-chair of the 21st session of the CSTD (Commission on Science and Technology for Development)
● H.E. Ms. Sarah Al Amiri, Minister of State for Advanced Sciences, UAE
● Mr. Thomas Philbeck, Head of Science and Technology Studies, World Economic Forum (WEF)
● Mr. Gӧran Marby, President and CEO of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)