Implementing the 2030 Agenda for resilient societies
Monday, 9 July 2018
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Conference Room 4, UNHQ
The session will consist of two sub-sessions of one-and-a-half hour each. The first sub-session on
“Reviewing progress in achieving the SDGs” will discuss a global snapshot of progress made towards
the 17 Goals and remaining gaps ahead, followed by highlights of progress in the Goals under review.
It will identify areas where policies and actions need to be stepped up to accelerate progress. This
session will bring together presentations on global trends, sector-specific trends, policies and
principles of the 2030 Agenda.
The second sub-session on “Better data for sustainable development” will focus on data as a key
enabler for achieving the SDGs. There is a great demand for quality, accurate, open, timely,
sufficiently disaggregated data and statistics for countries to implement the necessary policies and
measures to achieve SDGs and fulfill the ambition of reaching those that are left the furthest behind.
To meet this demand, significant efforts are needed to strengthen countries’ capacity to collect,
integrate, analyze, communicate and use data from multiple sources. It requires strong political
commitment and increased resources to support global and national efforts to strengthen statistical
systems and leverage technology and synergies across the data ecosystems through partnerships
among multiple stakeholders within national statistical systems and beyond. This sub-session will
bring together chief statisticians and other data and policy experts to review ways to increase
country capacity and resources for data and statistics for the 2030 agenda.
Proposed guiding questions:
- Who are the furthest behind and are we managing to build the resilience and improve the lives of those people?
- What are the trends in improving the situation of the furthest behind?
- How can we accelerate progress towards collecting and analyzing desegregated data that can help assess and review the situation of the furthest behind?
- H.E. Ms. Marie Chatardová, President of Economic and Social Council
- Ms. Emily Pryor, Executive Director of Data2X
Sub-session 1. 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM Reviewing progress in achieving the SDGs
- Ms. Asa Regner, Assistant-Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director, UN Women
- Mr. Pádraig Dalton, Director General of Central Statistics Office of Ireland
- Ms. Grace Bediako, Acting Director-General of the National Development Planning
Commission (NDPC), Ghana
- Ms. Sofia Monsalve Suárez, Secretary General, FIAN International (NGO Major Group)
Followed by interactive discussion
Sub-session 2. 11:30 AM -1:00 PM Better data for sustainable development
- Mr. Zachary Chege, Chair of the UN Statistical Commission, Chief Statistician of Kenya
National Bureau of Statistics
- Ms. Nancy Potok, Chief Statistician of the United States of America
- Ms. Shaida Badiee, Managing Director and Co-founder, Open Data Watch