Review of SDGs implementation: SDG 11 – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Wednesday, 11 July 2018
3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Conference Room 4, UNHQ
Cities and human settlements are where many of our accomplishments and obstacles to achievement of the 2030 Agenda are manifested. They are home to concrete challenges as well as enormous opportunities for fostering innovation and knowledge-sharing to overcome these challenges. This session will explore the topic of building inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable cities and human settlements through implementation of Goal 11 and its interlinkages with the rest of the Sustainable Development Goals. Sustainable urbanization has a widespread impact for the majority of the global population currently living in urban areas, but also has important implications for those living in rural areas. It has clear impacts on a wide range of issues within the 2030 Agenda, such as sustainable consumption and production, affordable and clean energy, sustainable transportation, clean water and sanitation, and life on land. This session will explore the interconnected ecosystem of our cities and human settlements, and the multi-dimensional issues that must be addressed in order to achieve inclusive, safe, resilience, and sustainable cities and human settlements. It will also examine the critical role that local and regional governments play in addressing these collective challenges, and ensuring that the 2030 Agenda reaches the diverse populations living in cities and those most often left behind.
Proposed guiding questions:
- What are key recommendations for accelerating the implementation of SDG11 and other
- What specific policy measures and tools can ensure that development in cities and human
settlements is inclusive and reaches those most often left behind, such as people living in
- How can we strengthen the capacity of local and regional governments to achieve SDG 11?
- Who are the furthest behind and who is at risk of being left behind for this SDG?
- H.E. Ms. Marie Chatardová, President of Economic and Social Council
- Mr. Benjamin Rae, Sustainable Development Goal Monitoring Section, Statistics Division of UN
- Ms. Leilani Farha, UN Special Rapporteur on adequate housing
- Mr. Rohit T. Aggarwala, Professor of Professional Practice in International and Public Affairs
at Columbia University
- Ms. Penny Abeywardena, Commissioner in Mayor’s Office for International Affairs, New York
- Mr. Jean Todt, Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Road Safety
- Ms. Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Executive Director of UN-HABITAT
- Ms. Meera AlShaikh, Project Manager and member ofthe SDG 11 Global Council, Smart Dubai,
- Mr. Wim Dries, Mayor of the city of Genk and President of the Flemish Association of Local
- Ms. Shaila Shahid, International Centre for Climate Change and Development as CoordinatorGender
and Climate Change (ICCCAD) (Women’s Major Group)
Followed by interactive discussion