Thematic review: Perspectives of society: Session organized with major groups and other stakeholders
Thursday, 12 July 2018
11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Conference Room 4, UNHQ
Major Groups and other Stakeholders (MGoS) are crucial to the successful implementation, follow-up, and review of the 2030 Agenda. In preparation for the 2018 HLPF, MGoS contributed to review processes at all levels, including at the Regional Forums for Sustainable Development (RFSDs) and through national review mechanisms.
In line with paragraph 89 of the 2030 Agenda and paragraphs 14 and 15 of General Assembly
Resolution 67/290, this session offers MGoS an opportunity to report on their contribution to the
implementation of the Agenda” and speak to the topics of the HLPF.
The session will be organised in collaboration with the HLPF Coordination Mechanism of MGoS and
will focus on the recommendations of MGoS around the implementation, follow-up, and review of
the 2030 Agenda, with a particular emphasis on the theme of the 2018 HLPF and the specific goals
being reviewed. It will also survey the contributions of MGoS themselves to the overall successful
implementation of the agenda, especially at the national level and during ongoing national review
Proposed guiding questions:
- Who are the furthest behind and are we managing to build the resilience and improve the lives of
- How has the engagement of MGoS shaped the review processes of the 2030 Agenda and
helped fill implementation gaps?
- What are some concrete actions taken by Major Groups and other Stakeholders around the
implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs in focus this year?
- How can implementation efforts by MGoS be included in the overall reporting on progress
made on the 2030 Agenda?
- H.E. Mr. Jerry Matthews Matjila, Vice-President of ECOSOC
Keynote address and moderation:
- Ms. Luisa Emilia Reyes Zuñiga, Program Director, Policies and Budgets of Equality and
Sustainable Development, Gender Equity: Citizenship, Work and Family. Co-chair of the HLPF
Coordination Mechanism (Women's Major Group)
- Ms. Haydee Rodriguez, Executive Director, Unión de Cooperativas de Mujeres Productoras
“Las Brumas” (Sendai Stakeholders)
- Mr. Ruben Zondervan, Executive Director, Earth System Governance Project, Lund University,
Sweden (Science and Technology Major Group)
- Ms. Jolly Amatya, Secretariat of United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth (UN
- Mr. Vitalice Meja, Coordinator/CPDE Co-Chair, Reality of Aid Network Africa (FFD Civil Society
- Mr. Berry Vrbanovic, Mayor of Kitchener, Canada (Local Authorities Major Group)
Followed by interactive discussion