Review of SDGs implementation: SDG 12 - Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Thursday, 12 July 2018
3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Conference Room 4, UNHQ
SDG 12 guides the formulation and implementation of policies, mechanisms and partnerships to ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns (SCP), recognizing that SCP is not only an objective in its own right, but also a critical element of strategies to achieve the entire 2030 Agenda in an integrated manner. This session will consider progress in achieving SDG 12, identify challenges at the global, regional and national levels, and recommend solutions in an integrated manner, through the exchange of lessons learned and best practices.
Proposed guiding questions:
- What actions and practices have proven to be the most successful in ensuring SCP at the
global, regional and national levels?
- How can effective partnerships be promoted to engage key stakeholders, such as
corporations and consumers?
- How can actions aimed at meeting SDG 12 be taken, with a view to maximizing co-benefits
and minimizing negative trade-offs in relation to other SDGs, in particular those reviewed in
depth at this meeting of the HLPF?
- Who are the furthest behind and who is at risk of being left behind for this SDG?
- H. E. Ms. Inga Rhonda King, Vice-President of ECOSOC
- Mr. Shaswat Sapkota, Sustainable Development Goal Monitoring Section, Statistics Division of
- Mr. Peter Thomson, UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the Ocean
- Mr. Elliot Harris, Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development and Chief Economist, UN DESA
- Ms. Nur H. Rahayu, Director of Forestry and Conservation of Water Resources, Ministry of
National Development Planning, Indonesia
- Ms. Petra Bayr, Chair of the Sustainable Development Committee in the parliament of Austria
- Ms. Jane Nyakang’o, President of the African Roundtable on Sustainable Consumption and
- Mr. Ulf Jaeckel, Head of Division, Federal Ministry for the Environment, Germany and 10YFP
- Ms. Amy Luers, Executive Director, Future Earth
- Mr. Julius H. Cainglet, Vice President for Research, Advocacy and Partnerships of the
Federation of Free Workers (Workers and Trade Unions Major Group)
Followed by interactive discussion