Messages from the regions (HLPF)
Wednesday, 15 July 2020
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Virtually (held New York time)
The 2030 Agenda stressed the importance of the regional and sub-regional dimensions in the follow-up and review of the Agenda. Since the creation of the HLPF, regional forums on sustainable development have been organized by the United Nations regional commissions to contribute to the forum’s preparations. Their importance was recognized in the Political Declaration of the SDG Summit in September 2019.
In 2020, the regional forum for the African region was organized by ECA from 24 to 27 February. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ECE and the ESCAP regional forums on sustainable development had to be scaled down and held virtually (ECE – 19 March 2020 and ESCAP – 20 May 2020). The regional forums on sustainable development of ECLAC and ESCWA had to be postponed and were held through virtual consultations, knowledge platforms, publication of various documents as well as summaries from different meetings in the respective regions. The session will discuss the findings and recommendations from the regional forums on sustainable development.
It will start with presentations by the regions’ spokespersons and Ministerial Chairs of the Regional Forums on Sustainable Development followed by interactive discussion with participants.
The session will address the following general questions:
- As we enter the Decade of Action and prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, were regions delivering on the 2030 Agenda aspirations? What were the critical gaps and opportunities for action at the regional level to make progress towards the achievement of the SDGs?
- What is the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the different regional trajectories towards the realization of the 2030 Agenda?
- What are the key opportunities and potential for building back better in the regions?
- H.E Ambassador Omar Hilale, Morocco, Vice President of ECOSOC
- Ms. Vera Songwe, Executive Secretary of the Economic Commission for Africa, and Coordinator of Regional Commissions
- H.E. Mr. Paul Mavima, Minister of Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare, Zimbabwe, and Chair of the 6th Africa Regional Forum on Sustainable Development
- H.E. Mr. Vaqif Sadiqov, Permanent Representative of Azerbaijan to the UN, Geneva, and Chair of the 4th session of the Regional Forum on Sustainable Development for the UNECE region
- H.E. Mr. Rodrigo Malmierca, Minister of Foreign Trade and Foreign Investment, Cuba, and Chair of the Forum of the Countries of Latin America and the Caribbean on Sustainable Development
- H.E. Ms. Samantha K. Jayasuriya, Permanent Representative of Sri Lanka to ESCAP, and Chair of the 7th session of the Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development
- H.E. Ms. Lolwah Al-Khater, Assistant Foreign Minister and Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the State of Qatar, speaking on behalf of the Arab region
- H.E. Ms. Nezha El Ouafi, Minister Delegate to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates, Morocco