Voluntary National Review 2016
Executive Summary of China’s Actions on the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable DevelopmentIn September 2015, H.E. Xi Jinping, President of China, attended the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit and joined other leaders in endorsing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, providing guidance to national development of member states and international development cooperation in the next 15 years. As the largest developing countries in the world, China has always place development as the first priority. The 13th Five-Year Plan was reviewed and approved by the Fourth Session of the 12th National People’s Congress in March 2016, defining the development concept featuring innovative, coordinated, green, open, and shared development. In the coming years, China will pursue innovative development and improve the quality and efficiency of development. Coordinated development will be promoted to form a balanced structure of development. China will pursue green development by promoting a green and low-carbon development model and lifestyle, protecting ecological system. It will make great efforts to deepen opening-up, thus realizing win-win cooperation. Shared development will be facilitated to improve people’s well being. China will seek coordinated development in the economic, political, cultural, social and ecological fields in order to build a moderately prosperous society in all respects as planned. China attaches great importance to implementation of the 2030 Agenda and believes that the principles of Peaceful Development, Win-win Cooperation, Integration and Coordination, Inclusiveness and Openness, Sovereignty and Voluntary Action, as well as “Common but Differentiated Responsibilities”, should be followed in building a new type of international relations featuring win-win cooperation, establishing all-round partnership, and achieving economic, social and environmental development in a balanced manner. Countries should be encouraged to formulate their domestic development strategies and take measures to implement the 2030 Agenda in accordance with national conditions and respective characteristics, while the means of implementation should be allowed to be differentiated, due to diversified national conditions and respective capabilities. China suggests that 9 key areas should be prioritized in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. These areas are:
- Eradicating poverty and hunger through targeted measures to alleviate and eliminate poverty, and enhancing agricultural production capacities and food security.
- Implementing innovation-driven development strategies and generating momentum for sustainable, healthy and stable economic growth.
- Advancing industrialization to inject impetus to coordinated development between urban and rural areas and among the three dimensions of sustainable development.
- Improving social security and social services to ensure equal access to basic public services.
- Safeguarding equity and social justice to improve people’s well-being and promoting all-round human development.
- Protecting the environment and building protective barriers for eco-security.
- Addressing climate change actively and integrating climate change response into national development strategies.
- Promoting efficient utilization of resources and sustainable energy.
- Improving national governance and ensuring economic and social development in line with the rule of law.
- Strengthening capacity building of countries so as to improve institution building, increase public resources, and generate internal growth momentum.
- Creating an enabling international environment for development, building a balanced, win-win and inclusive multilateral trading system and improving global economic governance.
- Engaging with all stakeholders and working towards a more equitable and balanced global partnership for development.
- Promoting coordination mechanism and incorporating development policy into global macroeconomic policy coordination.
- Improving follow-up and review by conducting regular reviews of global implementation progress while review of national implementation would be done according to respective national conditions and the principle of voluntary action.
China was part of the 2016 Voluntary National Review of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development
Focal pointMs. Huang Weibo
Director, Environmental Management Division
Department of Regional Economy
National Development and Reform Commission
Documents & Reports
|Full Report||CSD-16; CSD-17;|
|Human Settlements||CSD-12; CSD-13;|
|Country Profile 2002|
|Pre-WSSD National Report|
|Input towards the Secretary-General Report "Climate Change & It's Possible Security Implications" (GA-64)|
|G-77 & China's input on the possibility of convening a high-level event on sustainable development|
National SD Strategy
|Link to Country's NSDS|
Partnerships & CommitmentsThe below is a listing of all partnership initiatives and voluntary commitments where China is listed as a partner in the Partnerships for SDGs online platform.
13 Jul 2017
1 Jun 2017
25 May 2017
19 Jul 2016
6 Jun 2016
6 Jun 2016
31 Jul 2015
21 Jul 2015
23 Jun 2015
Dr. Peng Sizhen, Deputy Director-General, the Administrative Center for China’s Agenda 21, Ministry of Science and Technology, China
1 Jul 2014
Mr. Peng Sizhen, Deputy Director-General, the Administrative Center for China’s Agenda 21, Ministry of Science and Technology, China
1 Jul 2014
Statement by Dr. Zhao Xinli, Counselor in Charge of Scientific and Technological Affairs of the Permanent Mission of China
29 Apr 2014
3 Sep 2002