Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$section_nr in /srv/www/html/sustainabledevelopment.un.org/root/content.php on line 285 On September 26-27, 2013 the Consultation for Decision-Makers on Implementing Sustainable Transport will take place in New York, United States. The consultation organized by United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA), United Nations Human Settlement Program (UN-HABITAT) and Ford Foundation will take place at the Ford Foundation.
The Rio+20 outcome document “The Future We Want” recognizes that “transportation and mobility are central to sustainable development.” Rapid urbanization of developing economies has brought urgency to this looming problem of access while least developed areas continue to lack basic access, both of which are exacerbating poverty alleviation efforts. The key enabling role of transport in advancing sustainable development was further confirmed in the report by the High Level Panel of Eminent Persons on Post-2015 Development Agenda as well as in the ‘Action Agenda for Sustainable Development’ by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network. Both documents proposed a number of targets on sustainable transport.
Consultations on Transport in the Post-2015 Development Agenda, including a June 10-11 retreat of several Missions to the UN (http://www.slocat.net/event/929), have considered options for goals and targets for Sustainable Transport as well as options to improve institutional frameworks for implementation.
The Consultation for Decision-Makers on Implementing Sustainable Transport will focus on:
a) Integration of sustainable transport in the goal framework for the post 2015 development agenda:
- Possible formulations of a Sustainable Development Goal and/or supporting targets on sustainable transport
- The development of a Results Framework on sustainable transport, in support of the proposed goals on sustainable transport
b) Establishment of supportive institutional frameworks for on sustainable transport: Role of Regional Environmentally Sustainable Transport Forums in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe
Participation in the Consultation will be at the level of decision makers who would participate, benefit or contribute to implementation of sustainable transport in their capacity:
- Local and national government representatives involved in transport and environment from Asia, Africa and Latin America;
- UN organizations: UNDESA, UNEP and UN Habitat; UNECE, and UNESCAP
- Multilateral Development Banks: ADB and World Bank;
- NGOs – Foundations: EMBARQ, FIA Foundation, Ford Foundation and Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP).
For more questions, please contact Thomas Hamlin, Inter-Regional Adviser on Energy and Transport-UN DESA and Co-convener of the Sustainable Low Carbon Transport Partnership, at hamlin[at]un.org .:. Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform