- Location: Spain
- By: International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Type: Global
- Source: International Telecommunication Union / Telefónica
- Year: 2011/2012
- More information
Telefónica and ITU, hosted a Hackathon in Barcelona, Spain, on 28-29 February 2012 during the GSMA Mobile World Congress. The Hackathon is a marathon where developers create applications within a defined timeframe. Developers coming from all over the world gathered and competed to propose and develop a "Sustainable Energy for All" ICT application. The development of green ICT applications will help to promote technology transfer worldwide. The best three green ICT applications have been awarded cash prizes on site on 29 February 2012.
In addition to the Hackathon, ITU and Telefonica are organizing the 2nd Green ICT Application Challenge to find the best and most innovative Concept Paper for an ICT application to help promote Sustainable Energy for All.
Topic areas are and should not limit your imagination:
- Energy efficiency: in sectors such as smart buildings, intelligent transport systems, smart homes, etc.
- Access to Energy: smart metering, energy billing systems, energy management, etc.
- Renewable Energy: smart grids, renewable energy potential, electric vehicles, etc.
The Challenge is open to individuals from Member States of the ITU. Individuals must be of the age of majority in their country at the time of entry.
Developers are called to submit Concept Papers by 13 April 2012.
The best and most innovative Concept Paper will be awarded a cash prize of $ 3000 and will be invited to present his/her ICT application during Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in June 2012.