Description/achievement of initiative
1. To develop a sustainable program within the mainstream two year Postgraduate Program equivalent to an MBA, to address the dearth of environment management skills through specialized courses.
2. To develop regular and distance education PG courses and training modules for specific target groups in areas like Cumulative Impact Analysis and Climate Change related impacts.
3. To build a center of excellence with its network of partner institutions and training faculties, for delivering effective training on Environment Impact Assessments across the South Asia region and to foster communities of EA practice in the South Asian Countries.
Phase IA: Establishment of the EIA Training and Knowledge Hub (June 2014- May 2015):
1. Establish the academic mechanism within IIM Kashipur and development of collaboration agreements with partner institutions
2. Preparation of an EA curriculum, courses and training modules
3. Identify faculty, experts, and academic panel to develop and finalize the required curriculum, specialized courses for 2 year PG Program.
4. Collaboration agreements with industry and corporate houses
Phase IB: - Operation of the Selected Training and Knowledge Hub & Planning for Long-Term Sustainability (July 2015 – March 2016)
5. To undertake content review training modules and conduct Short Courses and thematic workshops.
6. Operationalize the web-based distance education platform
7. Preparation of a business model to ensure financial viability of the capacity building program;
8. Incorporation of the two year program as a regular institutional program within the IIM Kashipur academic plan
Phase II: - Support to Long-term Operation of the Training Hub and Experience Exchanges across South Asia (April 2015 – March 2017)
9. Full-fledged operation of the web-based and other forms of distance education;
10. To implement the entire long-term training and capacity building program scale it up across the countries of South Asia.
Arrangements for Capacity-Building and Technology Transfer
Businesses at every level, projects or programs, individual activities, business and manufacturing processes all will need to change to be able to grow and expand. This program will deliver an improved application of various EA methods and tools to improve the stages of planning, designing, implementation and operation of projects and programs through the ‘trained’ MBAs who will lead the industry in coming years.
As there is a notable shortage of basic skills in the country and the region in areas related to quality environmental impact assessments and environment management plans, this program will deliver across the South Asian countries a model graduate level program dedicated to environmental impact assessments, and produce future business leaders sensitized to the theory and practice of environmental risk analysis and management. Technology transfer is envisaged with the program as it will deal with the global advances in techniques, newer subjects to be covered (climate change, cumulative impact analysis to name a few), and an augmentation of capacity to carry out robust EIAs across the entire spectrum. The stakeholders include regulators, policy planners, project proponents, consultants, contractors, investors, environmental NGOs, research and academia.
Coordination mechanisms/governance structure
A program management unit has been set up at IIM Kashipur (India) as administrative and academic mechanism for EIA training and capacity building activities. Fully funded by The Word Bank and internal budget of the institute, the setup is headed by a Program Director and assisted by a number of executive and research staff who will lead identification and development of collaboration agreements with partner institutions working in environment management areas. It will prepare an EIA curriculum, courses and training modules and prepare a calendar for the regular training programs of various durations for different target groups. The Green Management program will identify faculty, experts, and academic panel to develop and finalize the required curriculum, specialized (elective) course content, pedagogy and delivery mechanisms for the proposed for 2 year post-graduate program for regular residential full-time students and different thematic short-term raining and capacity building activities for industry and government professionals. The courses will be developed and delivered by partner organizations and other universities in the region.
Center of Excellence in Public Policy and Government, Indian Institute of Management Kashipur (INDIA);
The World Bank;
Center for Science and Environment, New Delhi, India,
National Institute of Technology, Silchar, India