The Barcelona Climate Plan includes existing actions, along with new ones, to achieve and go a little further from the commitments of the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy, aiming at achieving carbon neutrality by 2050. The Plan includes measures for advancing mitigation, adaptation and resilience, climate justice and citizen action. The foreseen 242 actions are grouped into 18 lines of action, and these in turn into five action domains: 1. Persons first, 2. Start at home, 3. Transform the common space, 4. Climate economy and 5. Collective construction.
The accomplishment of the whole Strategy by 2030 (5 domains, 18 lines of action and 242 actions) includes the following targets:
1. Reduce GHG emissions by 45% per capita compared to 2005 by means of the following measures:
- Reduce travel by private motor vehicle by 20%.
- Increase solar power generation fivefold.
- Renovate, in energy terms, 20% of residential buildings that are over 40 years old.
2. Increase urban green space by 1.6 km2, equivalent to 1 m2 more per current inhabitant.
3. Obtain 100% clean funding.
4. Achieve a domestic potable water consumption rate of less than 100 litres per inhabitant, per day.
5. Have energy poverty reduced to zero.
6. Allocate €1.2 million in subsidies for collaborative citizen projects (€200,000 every two years).