Description/achievement of initiative
As the understanding of the ocean and marine environment is critical for the sustainable development of SIDS, Mauritius, in line with the Ocean Economy Roadmap, is spearheading the establishment of a Faculty for Oceans which would not only help build the skills base of youth and mature students from SIDS and landlocked countries like, but also significantly enhance the technical and normative knowledge around ocean matters. The Faculty would also serve to develop a knowledge platform and intensify research and teaching in SIDS whilst empowering SIDS to undertake their own benchmarking practices for a variety of ocean parameters.
- Exchange of staff and postgraduate students- Opportunity for partnerships in terms of joint research projects and sharing of equipments- The faculty will also work out the equivalences.
Arrangements for Capacity-Building and Technology Transfer
- Blended / Face to Face ( Distance Education/ Mixed Mode)- Scholarships for SIDS students will be worked out.- Small Groups- Continuous Professional Development
Coordination mechanisms/governance structure
University of Mauritius will overview the expansion of partnerships through signature of MOUs, action plans, activities, which will also be overseen by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the parent Ministry, the Ministry of Tertiary Education Research, Science and Technology.
University of Mauritius
- Mauritius Oceanography Institute (MOI)
- Board of Investment (BOI)
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Southampton
- University of Delaware
- IIT Madras