Description/achievement of initiative
- The major achievement will be a regional consensus among the Asia-Pacific countries through a high-level declaration, on mainstreaming the 3Rs and resource efficiency in a wide range of sectors (e.g., agriculture, environment, industry, energy, transport, and finance) and in the overall policy development.
- Policies, strategies, laws and regulations that supports the implementation of the 3Rs and resource efficiency measures at national and local levels will be formulated and implemented in the Asia-Pacific countries.
- Creation of a sustainable society that imposes significantly lower pressures on natural resource stocks and the environment.
UNCRD provides substantive support to the Asia-Pacific countries in collaboration with its partners including international organizations, bilateral/multilateral donors, scientific/research institutions and others, through various mechanisms and modalities as listed below.
- Provides advisory support, promotes cooperation, conduct awareness raising, establish regional networking, provides capacity building and technical support to the developing countries by organizing forums, training courses, workshops, and seminars on relevant subjects to promote the 3Rs and resource efficiency at the local/national/regional level.
- Motivates government authorities to take the initiative in formulating appropriate policies, strategies and programmes on the 3Rs and resource efficiency through high level policy forums.
- Promotes further interagency coordination, collaboration and partnership with the governments to progress in mainstreaming and integrating the 3Rs and resource efficiency.
The high level declaration on mainstreaming the 3Rs and resource efficiency is expected to be discussed and adopted during the Fourth Regional 3R Forum in Asia in March 2013.
The International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA), a Rio+20 registered partnership, will play a critical role in disseminating knowledge, best practices, policy instruments, and relevant tools and technologies on the 3Rs and resource efficiency at the local level.
Arrangements for Capacity-Building and Technology Transfer
Coordination mechanisms/governance structure
United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD)