Special event on Higher Education for Sustainable Development (POSTPONED)
Sep 2013 (To be confirmed)
- What are the main challenges for HEIs in becoming a driving force behind the transition to sustainable development?
- Are there good examples of HEIs integrating sustainable development into their curricula, campus management and community engagement? How can HEIs elaborate and improve upon such practices?
- Have HEIs been successful in preparing global citizens to adopt sustainable lifestyles? What role should academia have in the post-2015 development process?
- What opportunities exist for HEIs to interface more regularly with governments and policy makers, as well as other stakeholders such as Major Groups, on the sustainable development agenda?
DetailsThe special event will be held at UN Headquarters on Monday 23 September, from 3:00 to 6:00 P.M., and is preceded by another special event on sustainable cities taking place in the morning, which convenes mayors and other high-level local government authorities. This occurs during the opening of the high-level segment of the 68th session of the General Assembly, a time when access to UN Headquarters is restricted to delegates and their staff; staff members of the UN Secretariat and its funds, programmes and agencies; accredited media; and affiliates who are wearing a UN grounds pass. In addition, members of civil society and the general public who are invited to attend the special event will be required to be in possession of a meeting-specific pass at all times. All participants are therefore requested to register online for this event so that we may transmit all your details to UN Safety and Security in advance.
FormatThe format for this multi-stakeholder event is currently under development, and will aim to be highly inclusive and interactive for participants. We are also looking at universities to host live viewing parties of the event with Q&As from students. Support is provided by the following sponsoring partners from the UN and its related agencies:
- The UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Principles for Responsible Management Education (an initiative of UN Global Compact)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- United Nations University (UNU)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Ministers for Education
- Ministers for Finance
- Diplomatic staff
From higher education:
- University Presidents, Deans, Chancellors, Rectors
- Both HESI signatories and new partners
- University students, mainly those active in policy formulation at the international level
- Webcast viewing parties of students set up on campuses worldwide
- UN agencies
- HESI endorsers
- Relevant civil society (e.g. Major Groups)