- Topic: Biodiversity and ecosystems
- Location: Brasil
- Date of completion: 2012
- Click for more information
- Keywords: Juma reserve, sustainable building
, Director of Special Initiatives, email@example.com
Are you the focal point for this commitment/partnership? By signing in
to this website, you can edit the information show, add documents, and more. Contact us
- This voluntary initiative came from Global Compact
Description/achievement of initiative
Marriott International commits to sustain the preservation of the Juma Reserve.
According to Conservation International and other environmental experts, the destruction of tropical forests contributes 20% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions. But conserving rainforests—particularly the Amazon, considered the “lungs of the planet”—is one of the most effective ways to mitigate the impact these emissions have.
Investing in strategic conservation initiatives, including the Juma REDD+ project in the Brazilian Amazon Rainforest and fresh water project in Sichuan Province, China, creates greater economic development locally, while ensuring a healthier planet for all, both of which are key to Marriott's long-term business success.
Marriott's long-term sustainability goals, established in 2007 to guide the company's progress toward a more sustainable future, are to:
• further reduce energy and water consumption 20% by 2020,
• empower hotel development partners to build green hotels,
• green Marriott's supply chain,
• educate and inspire associates and guests to conserve resources, and
• address environmental challenges through innovative conservation initiatives including rainforest preservation and access to fresh water.
Financial support will be funded by Marriott.