Description/achievement of initiative
The solutions being implemented in Medellin are solving problems both in terms of transport and public space.
Source: Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
The city of Medellín and its metropolitan area is being recognized for its public space improvements, providing multiple options to its citizens, such as the recently inaugurated BRT project, "Metroplús", that is fully integrated (physically and fare) with the existing cable car and metro systems. There has also been a focus on the improvement of both the quantity and quality of public spaces by means of pedestrian connection, environmental parks, and urban promenades as part of the Urban Integral Project of the city. This has resulted in the creation of 1.6 million square meters of new park space throughout 25 parks and 11 urban promenades.
In addition to its existent sustainable transport and public space projects, the following are some of the projects developed during 2011 for which the city is being nominated:
- EnCicla: A public bicycle system with an approach to integrate universities and mass transit, along with other key destinations of the city
- Comparte tu carro: Ride sharing program that consists of 171 institutions to date
- Stop lights and safe crossings: improvement of areas where crossings were not adequate and where universal accessibility was needed
- Intelligent mobility system (SIMM): ITS system aimed at improving mobility for all users and improving road safety, including photo-fines, CCTV system
- Web 2.0 developments: Through social networks and its website, the mobility-related institutions provide information and feedback to users
- Air Quality: Vehicle exhaust emission control and sulphur content improvement
Arrangements for Capacity-Building and Technology Transfer
Coordination mechanisms/governance structure