Description/achievement of initiative
1. To increase awareness of disadvantaged groups on social and development issues.
2. To increase access to and participation of disadvantaged groups in community and/or government services and activities.
3. To increase capacity of civil society organisations to involve, represent and/or speak out for disadvantaged groups.
1. Supporting citizen participation and community action
2. Developing organisations and institutions
3. Services and information to the poor
4. Building public support for development
Arrangements for Capacity-Building and Technology Transfer
1. To undertake base-line surveys with the community
2. To plan projects that support the community to mitigate against climate change
3. To provide personal development/ development education opportunities for the participants.
4. To learn about the cooperative and life in Nicaragua.
5. To ensure that any infrastructure developed is sustainable in the long-term.
Coordination mechanisms/governance structure
The intention of this project is to work with the people of San Nicolas (Achuapa) to develop skills, capacities and infrastructure to combat the changing realities of climate change. Each year more devastating weather phenomenon cause damage to Northern Nicaragua in the form of torrential rains, landslides and drought. It is possible that in the future the climate may change further and cause the local inhabitants to grow different crops and undertake different forms of agriculture. This project will undertake with research with the local community into this area. This research will lead into actions designed to build skills and capacities within the local community.
Raleigh International, Juan Francisco Paz Silva Cooperative, Atpades Foundation