Description/achievement of initiative
The One Planet network has formed to implement the commitment of the 10-Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production (10YFP). It is a multi-stakeholder partnership for sustainable development, generating collective impact through its six programmes: Public Procurement, Buildings and Construction, Tourism, Food Systems, Consumer Information, and Lifestyles and Education.
The One Planet network has developed a 5-year strategy for the period 2018-2022, which can be accessed here: http://www.oneplanetnetwork.org/resource/one-plan-one-planet.
The strategy is action-oriented and provides a common approach around which stakeholders across the network can rally, working towards common objectives in order to become a leading implementation mechanism for SDG 12, which is the overall strategic objective of the strategy.
The strategy includes four operational objectives and a number of associated action points which the network is called upon to implement. The four operational objectives are:
1. Be an effective implementation mechanism of Goal 12 of the United Nations 2030 Agenda for
Sustainable Development as affirmed by target 12.1;
2. Catalyse ambitious action by providing tools and solutions that support the shift to sustainable
consumption and production;
3. Lead the cohesive implementation of sustainable consumption and production;
4. Demonstrate the benefits and impacts of sustainable consumption and production and its role in
addressing key environmental and social challenges
Arrangements for Capacity-Building and Technology Transfer
Coordination mechanisms/governance structure
The One Planet network is an open partnership, and countries including all relevant stakeholders and organisations are invited to join and actively engage. The strategic objective of the One Planet network over the period 2018-2022 is to be recognised as the lead mechanism to support and accelerate the shift to sustainable consumption and production patterns, becoming the leading implementation mechanism for Goal 12 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The multistakeholder nature of the One Planet network is manifested at all levels, including:
- 6 multistakeholder programmes - in public procurement, consumer information, lifestyles and education, tourism, buildings and construction, and food systems
- 130 National Focal Points representing government agencies and acting as liaisons within their countries ministries and with the programmes of the network. They are represented by a 10-member Board (2 from each region).
- Inter Agency Coordination Group composed of more than 20 UN agencies, representing the fact that the commitment of the 10YFP was an inter-UN commitment.
UN Environment, Over 700 organisations from private and public sector