Create2030, in partnership with the Battery Tour, Overview Collective and Greenpoint Innovations, and with input from the larger creative economy in the countries of Tanzania, Kenya, Indonesia, France and Argentina (to date), is drafting an Artist Declaration for Climate. The draft Declaration will be circulated to members of the creative economy for feedback and signatures. There will be live readings and performances of the Declaration by an Artist Delegation which will be attending events throughout the Climate Action Summit, Climate Week NYC and UNGA.
- The creative economy is one of the most rapidly growing sectors of the world economy. (SDG Fund)
- Cultural and creative industries are major drivers of economies by capitalizing US $2,250 billion and creating 29.5 million jobs globally. (SDG Fund)
- The creative economy is an “asset for diplomacy and foreign policy” that could play a role in achieving the SDGs. (World Conference on Creative Economy)
THE THREE TENENTS OF ARTISTIC ENGAGEMENT: As artists, we commit to:
1) Using our talents to raise the global conversation on the urgent need for climate action.
2) Practicing our art form in a sustainable manner.
3) Partnering with UN agencies, Member States, academic, private sectors, and others on climate action.
FOLLOW UP MECHANISMS: From Sept 2019-Sept 2020, we will continue to circulate the Declaration and collect signatures. We will use the Declaration to push for policy changes in our respective governments and in partnership with the climate action movement.
We expect to galvanize roughly 1,000 members of the global creative economy to participate in the September 2019 drafting of the Artist Declaration for Climate. We expect to gather over 10,000 signatures throughout the following year and present them during the 2020 five-year review of the SDGs.
Our mission is to amplify the voice of the creative community in the climate action movement and in support of the SDGs. We are also working with tech and renewable energy company, the Battery Tour, to develop sustainability solutions for the creative economy.