Side events will be organized on the margins of the Second Multi-Stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (STI Forum), to be held on 15-16 May 2017 in New York.
Side events should be closely related to the theme of the Second Multi-Stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation (STI Forum).
The theme of the STI Forum is designed to promote in-depth discussions on SDGs that will also be in focus at the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) meeting in July, as well as on cross-cutting issues relating more broadly in the general area of STI for the SDGs.
In this context, the theme of the STI Forum is: “Science, Technology and Innovation for a Changing World – Focus on SDGs 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, and 14”.
Proposed side events should directly address at least one of the following guiding questions:
1) What are the emerging frontiers of scientific knowledge and technological change that have implications for the achievement of multiple SDGs? How can the stakeholder communities represented here best engage with these issues to maximize potential positive impacts and minimise potential negative ones?
2) What are the emerging technologies with the potential for high impact in terms of accelerating progress towards the selected SDGs (1, 2, 3, 5, 9 or 14)? What is needed to realize their potential at scale?
3) What are the proven technologies and innovations that can accelerate progress towards the selected SDGs (1, 2, 3, 5, 9 or 14)?
4) What are the principal obstacles in scaling-up the deployment of proven technologies for SDGs, especially those in focus (1, 2, 3, 5, 9 or 14)? What are the roles to be played by policy makers, entrepreneurs, scientists, financiers and others in this regard?
5) What are the key elements that countries and international organizations may need to take into account in formulating action plans and/or roadmaps for science, technology and innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals?
6) What are effective models for bringing technological advances to those most in need?
7) What are the effective UN and other multilateral frameworks and mechanisms for engaging with private sector initiatives in the context of STI for the SDGs?
2. Basic criteria for consideration
- Any accredited and registered entity interested in organising a side event on United Nations premises during the Forum can submit a proposal, but each organizer cannot be involved in more than one side event.
- Priority will be given to side events involving multiple organizing partners in order to allow the participation of as many organizations as possible.
- Given limited room availability on UN premises, organizers are encouraged to partner with UN missions to host side events.
- Organizers should plan to hold their event in English or make their own interpretation arrangements for side events.
- Side events must be open to all participants. Organizers of closed events or by invitation only events aiming for an exclusive audience are kindly advised to obtain alternative locations.
- Side events should incorporate or focus on concrete success stories and examples of innovations, solutions and technologies applied that support the implementation of one or more SDGs.
- Organisers are encouraged to make the events as interactive as possible, including by allocating sufficient time for dialogue with the audience.
3. Responsibility of organizers:
- Inter-governmental meetings have first priority over other events or meetings. Side events may have to be cancelled at the last minute if an urgent inter-governmental meeting needs to use the conference room where the side event was already scheduled to take place.
- Publicizing a side event is the responsibility of its organizers. The Secretariat will not produce fliers, distribute notices, or run other publicity efforts for side events.
- It is the responsibility of the organizers to make their own arrangements regarding United Nations ground passes for individuals, invited as speakers or guests.
- Organizers can request equipment and services for their event. Charges will apply, all of which should be borne by the organizers. It is requested that payments be made no later than 24 hours before the commencement of the respective side event.
- The configuration of the rooms cannot be altered and the organizers are requested to remove all their materials after the conclusion of side events to avoid interrupting official meetings.
- Only printed materials that are directly related to the agenda can be distributed during a side event or at any other time during the STI Forum. The Secretariat reserves the right to remove materials deemed inappropriate. The sale of printed materials or any goods on UN grounds during the side events or at any other time is strictly prohibited.
- Side event organizers are advised not to set up displays or put up posters on meeting room walls during a side event or at any other time during the official meeting to avoid removal and loss of their materials.
- Food and drink are strictly prohibited in the UN meeting rooms. Activities that involve food or drink are only allowed in the designated areas outside the UN conference rooms and must be arranged directly with the UN Catering Service. The Secretariat will not facilitate such arrangements.
- Side events can be organized at other venues outside the UN Secretariat, but the Secretariat should be informed of them if to be placed on the website.
Please complete and sign the attached Side Event Request Form, providing a detailed description of the proposed event, including its sponsors, thematic focus, speakers/presenters and its potential contribution to the Forum. Completed and signed forms should be submitted to the Secretariat of the STI Forum until 10 April 2017, through the following link: sustainabledevelopment.un.org/contact, with the subject “STI Forum Side Event Application”.
A programme of approved side events will be posted on the Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform by 17 April 2017.
All queries related to side events should be addressed to sustainabledevelopment.un.org/contact
Please click here to download the side event request form.